- This event has passed.
Heart Health Advocacy Day at Indiana Statehouse
February 6 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Tobacco is a burden on Indiana’s physical and economic health. Each year more than 11,000 Hoosiers die from tobacco use. More than 3,000 kids become addicted smokers. Additionally, Hoosier employers lose billions in health care costs and lost productivity.
- A new statewide poll shows that 70% of Hoosier voters support raising the cigarette tax by $2 per pack, including 65% of Republican voters.
- Appropriates for each year of the 2019-2021 biennium $35,000,000 from the tobacco master settlement agreement fund to the tobacco use prevention and cessation trust fund for the state department of health to implement the long range state plan for the prevention and reduction of the usage of tobacco and tobacco products in Indiana.
Ask your legislators to:
- Support House Bill 1565. Increase the cigarette tax by $2 to $2.995 per pack of regular size cigarettes and a corresponding increase for larger cigarettes.
- By raising the cigarette tax by $2, we can help 70,000 Hoosiers quit smoking, add $360 million in new revenue to the state budget, and Indiana businesses would save $22 a day per smoking employee.
- In 2015, 529 Hoosiers died from opioid overdoses. More than 11,000 Hoosiers died from smoking-caused illnesses. We can fight this addiction crisis by raising the cigarette tax.
For more information, visit our website.